Related Posts with Thumbnails

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Are You?


ARE YOU?
HAPPY

Definition of happy

adjective (happierhappiest)

  • 1feeling or showing pleasure or contentment:Melissa came in looking happy and excited[with clause]:we’re just happy that he’s still alive[with infinitive]:they are happy to see me doing well
  • (happy about) having a sense of trust and confidence in (a person, arrangement, or situation):he was not happy about the proposals
  • (happy with) satisfied with the quality or standard of:I’m happy with his performance
  • [with infinitive] willing to do something:we will be happy to advise you
  • [attributive] used in greetings:happy Christmas
  • 2 [attributive] fortunate and convenient:he had the happy knack of making people like him
  • 3 [in combination] informal inclined to use a specified thing excessively or at random:they tended to be grenade-happy

Phrases

(as)happy as a sandboy(or British Larry or North American a clam or vulgar slang a pig in shit)

extremely happy.

happy hunting ground

a place where success or enjoyment is obtained:this should prove a happy hunting ground for those in search of a bargain
[originally referring to the optimistic hope of American Indians for good hunting grounds in the afterlife]


If you are not, why?

The other day, my oldest son said he did not enjoy going to bible camp that night.
"Why?"   I asked.
"It was boring."  He said.
I told him, "only you can make it boring, you bring the attitude with you.  Decide it will be fun and you will make it fun."

The next night, it was fun.
Amazing was actually his word.
He made a new friend.

I am happy, very happy.
No, my life is not perfect.

I am happy with me.
I am happy with life.

Are you?
happiness
noun pleasuredelightjoycheersatisfactionprosperityecstasyenjoymentblissfelicityexuberancecontentmentwellbeinghigh spiritselationgaietyjubilationmerriment,cheerfulnessgladnessbeatitudecheerinessblessednesslight-heartedness I think she was looking for happiness.
depressiondistressgriefmiserysadnesssorrowmisfortuneunhappinessannoyancedespondencylow spirits
Quotations
"Happiness depends upon ourselves" [Aristotle Nicomachean Ethics]
"Happiness to me is wine,"
"Effervescent, superfine."
"Full of tang and fiery pleasure,"
"Far too hot to leave me leisure"
"For a single thought beyond it" [Amy Lowell Sword Blades and Poppy Seeds]
"Happiness is a matter of one's most ordinary everyday mode of consciousness being busy and lively and unconcerned with self" [Iris Murdoch The Nice and the Good]
"To be happy, we must not be too concerned with others" [Albert Camus The Fall]
"I am happy and content because I think I am" [Alain René Lesage Histoire de Gil Blas de Santillane]
"Ask yourself whether you are happy, and you cease to be so" [John Stuart Mill Autobiography]
"Happiness does not lie in happiness, but in the achievement of it" [Fyodor Dostoevsky A Diary of a Writer]
"In theory there is a possibility of perfect happiness: To believe in the indestructible element within one, and not to strive towards it" [Franz Kafka The Collected Aphorisms]
"Happiness is not an ideal of reason but of imagination" [Immanuel Kant Fundamental Principles of the Metaphysics of Ethics]
"Happiness is in the taste, and not in the things" [La Rochefoucauld Maxims]
"Shall I give you my recipe for happiness? I find everything useful and nothing indispensable. I find everything wonderful and nothing miraculous. I reverence the body. I avoid first causes like the plague" [Norman Douglas South Wind]
"Happiness lies in the fulfilment of the spirit through the body" [Cyril Connolly The Unquiet Grave]
"We have no more right to consume happiness without producing it than to consume wealth without producing it" [George Bernard Shaw Candida]
"What we call happiness in the strictest sense comes from the (preferably sudden) satisfaction of needs which have been dammed up to a high degree" [Sigmund Freud Civilization and its Discontents]
"Happiness is an imaginary condition, formerly often attributed by the living to the dead, now usually attributed by adults to children, and by children to adults" [Thomas Szasz The Second Sin]
"Nothing ages like happiness" [Oscar Wilde An Ideal Husband]
"Happiness is no laughing matter" [Richard Whately Apophthegms]
"Happiness is enjoyed only in proportion as it is known; and such is the state or folly of man, that it is known only by experience of its contrary" [Samuel Johnson The Adventurer]
"happiness: an agreeable sensation arising from contemplating the misery of another" [Ambrose Bierce The Devil's Dictionary]
"Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length" [Robert Frost The Witness Tree]
"Happiness depends upon ourselves" [Aristotle Nicomachean Ethics]

I too believe that you are responsible for your own happiness.
If you are not happy, then what can you change to make yourself happy.

I am going to read and watch baseball with my favorite people.
My family.

Make your own happiness!



6 comments:

  1. I am happy, and it's taken years! Since I decided to kick my own ass into shape with stupid fitness dvd's, every day feels like a wonderful day. Well, maybe not every day, but it's pretty damn good now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is quite true. It's all in how you look at things. I am content at the moment. Which is saying a lot after being inside for most of 3 weeks now!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen.....and amen! I believe that life is 10% what you are given and 90% what you make of it!

    Have a great weekend!
    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today I am happy. I am happy my house did not burn down, because I was here to smell the burning rubber from my electrical panel. I am happy that the exterminator came and got rid of the carpenter ants trying to invade my house while trying to show it for sale.
    And I am happy my house was not the target of some crazy person with a face mask who tried to lite the neighbors house on fire. And that was all in one day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello there,

    It's nice to meet you.
    Thanks for sharing

    Ciao Bella
    Your newest follower
    Sensible Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy each and every comment you leave. Thanks for stopping by.