Related Posts with Thumbnails

Friday, March 4, 2011

M is for MOSS!


 


FRIDAY! 
Well almost, it is today's tomorrow or it will be yesterday's today, as my youngest would say.
Anyway, the weekend is on its' way!





I was flipping through the new Pottery Barn catalog and found these moss letters.


I love the look of the green moss with the white ribbon, but did you see the price? 
What?
Are you kidding me $79.
Sorry PB, but I can make one for less, in fact, I did last year.

Now I am here to tell you, YOU CAN TOO!



This M is a 22" one.


This is my son's M and is 12" tall.


This C is for my oldest son, still waiting to be done. 

 I made my moss letters using a very thin and light weight wood letter that I had ordered from here.  I know you can find these thin letters in various craft stores.  The moss I purchased in a large roll from Michael's using my 40% off coupon.

As far as how I "did it" I just laid the letter out and cut the large pieces and glued on with my handy dandy glue gun.  I made sure to piece some of the smaller pieces from left overs, once you put the pieces of moss closer together, you never even notice that they are pieced together. 

NOTE:  This is a messy project, so I worked in the kitchen where I could sweep up the floor when done.

I have hung my letters two different ways;
 1) tie ribbon to the letter and hang by bow at other end. 
2) glue two pieces of ribbon on and tie in the middle and hang from bow.

What do you think of my PB moss letter knockoff?

Are you going to try one?  It has that spring feel we are all longing for.

I am joining Debra from Common Ground for Vintage Inspiration Friday



 and Cindy at My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday.


Make sure to stop by and be inspired by all the wonderful bloggers.

Have a wonderful weekend and thank you for stopping by.




19 comments:

  1. I think Pottery Barn must think we are all mental for paying such an insane price!!!!!!!

    That thing probably costs them 50 cents to make in China....Good on you Alaina for sharing, on how to do this on the cheap.

    Pottery shmottery,

    ALAINA you ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Pottery Barn is... Insane. Your "knock-offs" are wonderful and I'll be making one this weekend :)

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...love that mossy "m"!!

    PB, we love you too, but your prices ~ yah, NO, not so much!! lol!!

    xo, Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen the moss and the letters at Michael's and have thought about making some. Love your 'M'!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that second photo...SAM!! My son's name I have to copy this photo Alaina!
    PB is sooo expensive wow!!
    I live in the land of moss! My entire lawn is moss and it is all over the trees. Plus part of our yard is the woods. To bad you didn't live closer you could help yourself to as much as you want!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great to me..now off to see that site you order your letters from.
    tammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pottery Barn is nuts! I made a small one last year, but I'll look at the bigger letters this year since it would be much more impressive. Thanks for the link to them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it!!!! I'm putting this project on the "to do" list!!!! I think I'll tackle it very soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OHHHH AWESOME!~ I LOVE THEM!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your Pottery Barn knock off mossy letters. I don't think PB is crazy. I think the people willing to pay that much for these things are!

    Your Friend,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  11. The letters are fabulous... I have covered moss on just about everything, it makes such a wonderful back drop for display.
    Have a great weekend
    Blessings
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love moss covered anything!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am SO doing this! I saw these in Pottery Barn, too, and thought the same thing-insane.
    -barb-

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is the only way to show them that their prices are to high is to make it yourself and maybe eventually they will get the hint. Love the idea. I love moss period. I even have my dress form covered in moss. Makes anything look more natural. ~~Sherry~~

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is gorgeous~ just love it!! I collect letters- of all sizes and styles but I don't have any moss ones!! I might have to try this one!! Thanks for the inspiration! Would love if you shared this at Feathered Nest Friday some time- it's delightful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The letters turned out fantastic!

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG! Love the mossy letters...Thanx for the tutorial...My gal pals and I will have to try this at our next craft nite...I am a new visitor to your blog via Shabby French Cottage. Have enjoyed browsing your blog and have signed up to follow. Please visit me at my new blog and follow and leave a comment or tidbit of advice!
    http://thecrankyqueen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. So great!!! 79 buckeroos? yikes. You did a wonderful job! Thanks Alaina, for linking up, sorry I'm so late!
    big hugs,
    Debra

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy each and every comment you leave. Thanks for stopping by.